Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Christmas, Again

I recently thoroughly enjoyed a very simple movie called Christmas, Again about a fellow selling Christmas trees amidst the street life of New York City. It's been said that "nothing happens" in that movie.

A week or so later, I tried watching the latest entry in the "Mission: Impossible" saga called Mission: Impossible - Fallout. Lots happened. I was instantly bored, struggling to find a plot among the fast cuts, explosions, and bombastic rhetoric.

I can see how, decades ago, you could have turned to a movie like "MI: Fallout" for escapism. Are these movies still escapism? I think the tables have turned: when fast cuts, explosions, and bombastic rhetoric are the norm in your day-to-day life, "Christmas, Again" is the new escapism. It felt like a refuge.

I'm not sure I was made for these times.

No comments: